ETD Question

Fri, 09 Jun 2000 22:26:37 +0200

Kent Swafford wrote:

> Come on, Wim.
>
> For years I and many others have been advocating combining the techniques of
> aural and visual tuning. The regular use of a VTD does not endanger ones
> aural tuning ability; indeed, it can improve one's aural tuning ability.

I actually kinda lean more towards Wims take on this Kent, He is pointing
out that there is a real danger tied up to the mis-use of ETDs. He is right
of course, tho your point should also be well taken. As I have said before,
the biggest danger in the use of these tools is not being alert to
potential pitfalls. Ardent proponents of their use should really be the
ones to underline this the most in my opinion.

That being said, (and I have said this before as well) it also seems clear
that this "danger" represents little or no threat to the tuning profession
as a whole. Those who for whatever reasons dont really learn the trade,
will either fall away or at best (read worst) cater to the lowest end of
the low end market. Profesional technicians with a relative good sense for
buisness will have no problems from these types.

What is sad is that some potential technicians can get off on the wrong
foot with the indicrimant use of ETD's. Perhaps this doesnt happen so
often, perhaps it does. It is sad when it does.

> Richard was pointing out a weakness in his VTD, so he obviously was
> listening to the tuning, as we fully expect. Because tuners listen the way
> Richard does, RCT (and I hope the other VTD's too) have had to get better
> and better over time. Aural/Visual tuning is a synergistic loop.

True enough in my case Kent, but then I spent 25 years tuning without
useing ETDs, and even got past my "ego" and re-sat myself on the school
bench to re-learn after bombing on my first attempt at a tuning test some 4
years ago now before picking up an ETD.

I take and aggree with your standpoint as far as I deem it goes Kent. But I
think you would do well to keep an open and watchfull eye for those
students you meet who may not be reaping the full benifit of the ETD tool.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.