unhappy customer follow-up

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:36:05 EDT

Doug,
I wanted to do a follow-up on this too. Bad news, good news. This won't be
your last lesson. People just think differently, and there is no way to say
everything the "right" way or anticipate everything over the phone in one
catchall conversation. After thirty years, I am still looking for the most
efficient explanation for why "my action is uneven now that you've tuned it."
On the other hand, you do accumulate a library of flags and signals, after
you've been at it a while. Flag #1: she had to get her husbands permission -
a sign that they think differently about their marriage than we do about
ours. It carries other implications. Flag #2: They own much less piano than
they can afford. That tells you something about priorities. Take a look back,
and I'll bet you can find several others.

There is nothing more important in building any business than a long-term
view. From the very beginning, my wife and I pretended to ourselves that
money didn't matter, only satisfied customers. We spent a lot of money on
Conventions, and time on "reading up." It has meant over the years a loyal
clientele, a satifying business, more work than we can handle, and a very
good living. Your refund of 0.4 hours is a "continuing education fee," and a
willingness to not worry about every penny will be repaid many times over in
reputation.

Yes, it meant a cheerful return call once in a while while smiling with jaw
clamped. Once, a lacquer we were using was reformulated without our
knowledge, and caused problems on a Steinway B we had refinished two years
before. While the customer was fighting with the drape cleaners who had
completely ruined her drapes and disclaimed responsibility, we whisked her
piano away and refinished it AGAIN without a whimper, at least not audible to
her. It cost us thousands, but over the long haul, there was a large deposit
in our Reputation Bank.

Muddle through; write it off......
Bob Davis