ETD Question

Sat, 10 Jun 2000 23:54:49 +0200

Terry, these kind of discussions always provoke many passionate responses
as well as more to the point posts.

As far as I am aware the only real statistics available point to a
significant difference in the results obtained on the tuning exam from
those examinees who have learned to tune mostly with an ETD versus those
who learned to tune first aurally. The ETD group does poorly.

This points to my mind of thinking to exactly the kind of weakness we all
need to be aware of relating to the use of ETD in general. That it is
indeed all to easy to mis-use. And this is sad indeed because, as rightly
pointed out by many ETD advocates, the ETD can be an extremly valuable
tool.. both for learning and for improving skills, as well as for research.

As far as your analogy to the writter and his wordprocessor... not really a
valid one now is it ?? I mean the word processer has no ability to write
the book for you, where as the ETD can certainly take over the entire
process... if you let it.

Which brings us to the only other hard fact we seem to know about all this.
Namely that whatever benifits / detrimants the ETD has are entirely (or at
least to a very large degree) the result of how the ETD is used.

As far as I can see... the rest is pretty much speculation, hunchy,
hypothetical... unsubtantiated.

my view

--
Richard Brekne