ETD Question

Marc Damashek mdamashek@erols.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 01:25:13 -0400

	Many issues have been considered in this thread -- but not
the algorithms used by the ETD's to decide on target pitches, which
are less than optimal when dealing with subtle imperfections in the
strings. Here's an opinion from a physicist/tuner/computer guy -- I'm
going to stick my neck out with a specific, testable hypothesis.

	I had a tuning epiphany about 15 years ago the first time I
played with a friend's Conn Strobotuner at his ancient upright. I was
thrilled to see the inharmonicity of the partials right before my
eyes, and to see it correlate so well with what I was hearing. But
what was really striking was that the inharmonicity of higher
partials on various strings was not always a smoothly increasing
function of the partial number, as one might have expected.

	If I were to plot up the number of cents each partial was
sharp, the points would not lie on a smoothly rising curve, but would
instead deviate randomly from that curve, with some of the deviations
being pretty sizable. The Strobotuner showed me that the successively
faster advance rates of the upper partials on some strings wasn't
uniform: some partials were obviously slower or faster than they
ought to have been, and didn't interpolate the frequencies of their
neighbors.

	Is this higher-order effect well known? I can't recall ever
seeing it discussed. It most certainly exists and is one reason why
every piano has its very own personality. It results from string
irregularities of one kind or another (density, diameter, etc.,
including nicks in the string, rust, and so on). Such imperfections
affect the frequency of different partials differently, depending on
the detailed physical distribution of the defects. For instance,
altering a plain wire string right at its midpoint (for instance, by
nicking it or loading it with some fine wire wrapped tightly around
it) will not affect the (stretched) even harmonics, which have a node
at that point. But it will change the frequency of the odd
(stretched) harmonics, as well as inducing other craziness such as
false beats between the various vibrating string segments.

	So the hierarchy of tuning subtlety goes something like this:

	perfect strings (harmonics at integer multiples of the fundamental)

	--> strings with inharmonicity (harmonics at successively
higher frequencies than integer multiples -- stretched scales)

	--> strings with inevitable random imperfections (random
deviations from smoothly stretched scales)

	Every piano tuning is a compromise in which we try to
accommodate those random deviations as best we can, and that's what
really separates the sheep from the goats.

	Now, how do existing ETD's decide what the 'best' frequency
is for a string? Obviously not by simply targeting the equal-tempered
fundamentals, because of inharmonicity (first-order correction). But
do any of them explicitly optimize their targets based on accurate
measurements of the partials on all strings (at least in octaves 2-5,
say), which can exhibit random deviations from a smoothly stretched
scale (second-order correction)? Probably not -- note that this is
different from measuring just the A's up the keyboard, for instance,
in order to find an appropriate stretching curve (which is a Good
Thing as far as it goes).

	While it might seem awfully complicated to obtain a
self-consistent tuning solution that minimizes the bad effects of
random irregularities, it's not impossible, especially when you're
toting around a fast laptop computer and can already accurately
measure the partials. (The solution involves some straightforward
linear algebra.) I strongly suspect that it is precisely because
ETD's ignore random irregularities in real strings that the best
aural tunings still outstrip the best ETD tunings, especially on the
worst pianos. If this situation were to change -- and I claim that it
can -- we would hear the improvement immediately.

	It would be very valuable to get more information from the
people who have designed and done the programming on the ETD's in
order to shed some light here. It would also be a whole lot of fun to
produce a working prototype and set it to work on a piano-shaped
object.

Marc Damashek
Hampstead, MD