Pins Riding the Plate

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:30:51 -0500

>List.. Ron and others following the recent thread on plate bushings...
>After reading Ron N's comments on this problem of tuning pins eventually
>riding on the plate (unbushed plates) I have started paying close attention
>to the condition of several such grands I have on my rounds. Sure enough..
>True in every case. Even relatively new Steinways display this.
>
>I wonder Ron if you could delve into this a bit more in detail.

I've given you all the general observations and specific detail I have. If
you have a specific question that hasn't been covered, or a point of
contention, I'll try to answer it or admit ignorance. I have plenty of that
left.

>What are
>the consequences of this condition, and what can tuners do to minimize any
>difficulties this presents.

I've outlined all the consequences I am aware of, actual and potential. As
for tuning techniques, those that haven't noticed the differences in feel
aren't troubled by it in the first place, and those who have noticed have
worked it out for themselves. No two tuners run a tuning hammer the same
way, so I don't have any tips or tricks that would make sense, or are not
obvious, to anyone else. What do you notice that's different from tuning
bushed plates?

> Further how does this relate to the pin bushing
>question beyond the obvious point that bushings prevent this condition from
>occuring.
>Richard Brekne

That's part of the point. I've always thought it WAS obvious that there
were functional benefits to plate bushings other than centering the bit for
drilling. I've just tried to offer some rationale to describe, explain, and
support what I think I've observed. It is my belief, based on my own
experience, that those who simply state that plate bushings aren't
functional in the piano are mistaken. There are a lot of variables such as
pinblock materials, bushing composition, and the size of the hole in the
un-bushed plate. The biggest difference in tuning functionality between
bushed and non-bushed seems to me to be at the point when a tuning pin
contacts the plate. Just slightly bigger plate holes and some care in
drilling would help a lot.

Ron N