ETD Question

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:20:36 -0500

on 6/11/00 2:54 PM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:

> I didnt know about this at all.. I remember reading in a very old edition
> of the Journal a tuning / temperament system developed by Fairchild, but
> this is the first I have heard about an "Aural Tuning Emulator". I wonder
> if you would be so kind as to decsribe this in a little more detail.
> Interesting...

I don't believe the Aural Tuning Emulator has ever been written up in the
Journal. Steve Fairchild spent years developing this system and the early
system that was written up in the Journal was not as advanced as the later
system.

One problem with the system was that I believe that the particular spread
sheet program that Steve used is not one of the now popular ones like XL or
123.

Of course, the biggest problem with the Aural Tuning Emulator would be
taking the data from the piano -- very time consuming. Even the Chameleon
ATE, which was the best hope for bringing the ATE into general availability,
would have taken quite a bit of time to play all the notes into the computer
and crunch the data.

Steve put out some ATE calculated tunings for various specific models of
pianos. These, as Dean points out below, are very good. They are in SAT
format, and are not freely distributable. Dean may (or may not) still have
these available for sale.

Kent

from the pianotech archives: