English lesson required by Tony from UK?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 20:02:59 -0500

>Tony the term "RING IN" is a term to describe someone who has entered a
>site, or group of people who are at the opposite end of the spectrum to that
>persons interests or knowledge.
>
>I.E. A American at a English football match.
>      A self employed Piano Tuner at a millionaires club. (unless tuning the
>piano)
>
>Hope that I have been of assistance in explaining a "Aussie slang term"
>
>I just hope that now you do not ask for the meaning of the word "slang". If
>so feel free to contact me so that we can keep our different understandings
>of the "English" language on the same level.
>
>Regards
>Robin Aussie)

In the interest of clarifying this nearly unfortunate partial
misunderstanding (a hobby, please forgive me), the American slang term
"ringer" denotes one who seems far more harmless than is actually the case.
Since "ring in" appears, in the presented context, to be an idiom of
similar intent, It would seem to be appropriate to offer an attempt to
connect these scattered attempts at communication into a cohesive attempt
at definition. .. to wit...

Lexicographically speaking, with "less harmless" being a double negative
indicating "Danger Will Robinson", and "more harmful" being a reinforced
positive indicating the same thing, the term "seems more harmless than is
the case", being reduced by conversationally indifferent algebraic
prestidigitation through "not less harmless" to "disastrous", by the short
form cognoscention manipulation outlined in your Invasion and Assimilation
Manual, pretty well puts it in perspective. True, one can argue that the
modifier "seems" in this case casts a certain Boolean uncertainty on the
precessive modifier to "harmless" and could, in a certain light, seem to
render the entire phrase moot, or at lease unresolved, if not entirely
unprovoked. Giving this view benefit of the doubt, it would seem to leave
no other logical, lexicographical, Booleanic, or otherwise rationally
non-combative alternative than to collectively and unceremoniously duck the
whole issue and start an alternative thread on caster grease or rubber
button polish.

I trust that clears up any lingering confusion or latent lack of resolve.

Ron N