Bridge Pin/Epoxy Question

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:57:28 +0100

In article <90.5932c6a.2676d332@aol.com>, ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM writes
>Don't just use maple.  Use pinblock material for your experiment.  Solid wood
>reacts differently than does cross grained, quarter sawn, Maple.  =)  I think
>you will have different results and find a place for such repairs in your
>arsenal.
>Ed Tomlinson

The experiment is irrelevant for the application, tensile strength is
not that important for pin bridge repair it is compression strength
which epoxy is better than CA. However, CA has better capillary
quality's  if applied with the pin in, but if the pin is removed and the
hole filled with glue and repined. Epoxy is better than CA because of
it's compression strength.

Simple test  drill two 15mm holes fill one with CA and one with epoxy
let them dry drill a 5mm hole in the centre of each and insert a 5mm
metal rod in each then place a load on each you will find that the CA
hole opens with a less load then the epoxy.

Or a crude way is put a block of glue in a vice and see which shatters
first

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton               Ý The U.K. Piano Page:
http://www.a440.co.uk       Ý http://www.uk-piano.org/