DeMorgan numbers & graph

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:21:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/00 6:55:41 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Of course, there will be some that refuse to listen to anything that is
 outside their preconceived sense of "correct", but the loss is theirs.  They
 that have ears, let them hear.  >>

That was a very good and well written response, Ed, I must say.  I must also
admit that I would want to buy the recording for no other reason than it is
different.  I will have to see if I agree that the effect is beneficial and
appropriate.  I don't doubt that I will hear something worth while and that
many, if not most will like it.

For as long as I have been a technician, I have never stopped seeing and
hearing what seem to be, at least at first, contradictions.  Take any axiom,
anything that a person says, with conviction, is the right way, the right
reason, the correct manner, etc., you will, sooner or later, hear someone say
quite the opposite.  And what is even more bewildering is, that both can be
considered correct and credible.

Werkmeister would say that De Morgan's temperament is incorrect and inverted.
 But there is also a whole class of temperaments that is rarely discussed or
used, the Modified Meantone Temperaments (MMT), which can be used for
anything a Well-Temperament can, yet they violate his rules.

So, I'm willing to listen and to accept the fact that there is an application
for this kind of temperament.  I too, have seen where it might have worked
but always thought it would have been blatantly incorrect according to all
have ever known and believed about the use of other tunings than ET.

So, now I only stand prepared to have yet another kind of option at my
disposal.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin