Living i nowhere?? (Ola, re: chicken feed / wheat)

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:49:02 -0400

Hi Ola,

Nice to see there's another chicken owner on the list.  I can't remember a
time (in recent history) of more than a couple of weeks I haven't had at
least a couple of chickens.  I like them.  They're just about right for me.
They don't bite, they don't kick hard enough to break anything like a leg,
and with the right setup, they almost look after themselves.  And when one
dies, I don't need a major piece of farm equipment to deal with the carcass.

You mentioned not being able to buy 'weat' seed.  If you're thinking of the
same thing we would call 'wheat' in the US, and you can buy it as feed, you
might even try planting some of that.  I don't know what they do to it in
order to sell it for feed.  I suspect they might not do much but dry it.  It
probably wouldn't work if they ground it in any way, but I don't know why
they would.  (Whole wheat berries are good for chickens, and they probably
keep better than ground meal.)  It might be worth a try.  I don't know if
you might need some sort of treatment or inoculant to help with germination
or virus type problems.  But, hey, feed is cheap.  Might be fun just to see
what might happen.

Good luck.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA