QUESTION: New hammers on Yamaha C3

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:17:16 -0600

John,
	The Yamaha hammers you get today will be very nice and easy to work with,
but may not be as much like the 15 year old hammers as, say, Imadigawas
from samples. Tou can change the weight quickly with a sander, if needed.
Does the customer "really" like the sound? Since the hammers are booked for
swapping anyway, how about showing her how much more control she might get
at softer levels by "killing" a few of the ones around C5  and mushing-up
the the ones in the mid-bass with some squeezing, or steam, or whatever.
Then you may wind up getting some Encore or the like, and give her a
different piano to play for a few years.

Just ramblin',
Guy

At 08:45 AM 6/15/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a customer, a fairly accomplished piano player, who has a 15 yr
>old Yamaha C3.  She wants to have  new hammers installed.  I am
>concerned about which hammers to choose to come as close to the original
>yamaha sound as possible, but more importantly to preserve the
>touch-weight.  I have experience using Renner Premium Blue, but my
>instincts tell me that these may not be the right choice (especially
>with regard to touch-weight).  I'm leaning towards getting hammers
>directly from Yamaha but I have no experience with their hammers.  I
>would appreciate any imput.  Thanks.
>
>John Gunderson,  Associate member
>North Jersey Chapter

CLUE NUMBER ONE:
	The first break of more than two weeks in over 25 years is while
recovering from a heart attack.
                                   Duh!