impedance and empericism

Marc Damashek mdamashek@netscape.net
15 Jun 00 14:35:14 EDT

Empiricists:

Distractions abound.

The original question went something like "Don't we have to worry about all
sorts of extraneous influences before we can discuss tuning optimization?"

Let's focus for a minute, friends );o) . It is irrelevant to that question
whether the *pitch* of some string changes, for whatever reason, so long as
its partials all change by the same multiplicative factor -- regardless of
whether those partials are harmonic or inharmonic. The main issue is not
whether the partial frequencies of a string have changed, but whether their
relative frequencies, their ratios to one another (and NOT their amplitudes)
have changed.

Example: if the temperature rises by 30 deg and RH by 80 pct and the relative
frequencies of the first four (wildly stretched!) harmonics of some string all
increase by 10% from 440*[1, 2.5, 3.8, 5.3] to 440*[1.10, 2.75, 4.18, and
5.83], I can still bring the string back to its original state by dropping the
tension by the right amount (1/1.21) -- the square of the desired pitch
change. If the frequencies implausibly change by different (relative,
fractional, percentage, NOT absolute) amounts when the piano structure swells
and raises the tension, then all bets are off.

After this week's discussion, the stability of the frequency ratios on any
string still seems to be a viable, or at least testable, hypothesis. The
tuning proposal on the table is that once the actual distribution of partials
has been measured on each of a set of strings, one can find a numerical
solution that will minimize any error criterion that is based on the relative
frequencies of those partials (NOT drive the error to zero, just find the best
-- least -- practical value). That solution should not be sensitive to effects
that merely change the string tension. They may be sensitive to effects that
change the termination points on the string itself, but again, we have to
determine whether that is a practical concern; maybe it is. Likewise, drastic
changes in the relative amplitudes of partials WILL have an effect on the
final sound, because the tuning technique will have been primed with the
initially measured set of amplitudes. If things are that bad, remeasure the
piano.

Choosing and trying various error criteria is a matter of experiment,
experience, taste, and who knows what else, but that's what we're already
doing, both aurally and with ETDs -- it's not black magic.

Cheers,

Marc Damashek
Hampstead, MD