Yamaha false beat "clips"

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:11:52 -0400 (EDT)

A very nice family I tune for has a Yamaha G3. I find it to be a
delightful instrument, and I'm a pretty good pianist. I just got a call
from the mother. Son is home from U of Cincinnati, which as we all know is
a great school. He was not available to talk with me at that time. He is
complaining about what she called false rhythm. I figure that has to mean
false beats. I know various ways of dealing with them, but before I do,
let me say that I don't think they are even a problem on this piano.

He told his mother to tell me to "put some of those clips on the piano
that Yamaha uses for false rhythm [sic]". ?????? Anybody know what he's
talking about? I am wondering, given his school, if he is talking about a
Wapin bridge. I don't really know what a Wapin bridge is, except that
Michael Walthen -- is that correct? -- has discussed it here quite a bit
and was quite happy with the results. If that is what's wanted, I would
have him discuss it with U of C technicians and stay out of the loop.

It sounds to me also as though a certain college freshman is just a LITTLE
too big for his britches and is doing his best to show Mom how much he
knows and how little she, Dad, and I know. However, he is basically a fine
kid, and definitely a fine pianist.

Any reactions would be appreciated.

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music