(was chickens) (now grand dampers)

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:47:31 -0700

At 06:35 PM 06/15/2000 -0400, Ed Foote wrote:
>I just reversed all the damper felts on a Steinway
>  D that is our temperament axe for the next week.  I had been fighting the
>seating twang with the old felt, ( two years old) so I just replaced them
>all, but this time, put the wedge on the distal side of the damperhead and
>the flat blocks, ( looking more like minature marshmallow Tower of Pisas all
>the time!) closer to the agraffe.  I bent them so that the block hit first, (
>this results in the rear of the damper lifting first).  Oh,  polished the
>strings where they seat, too.
>     Whadda ya know,  it is quiet.  Real quiet!  Even on una corda.   It will
>be just my luck that it will revert back to its noisy self in the next 24
>hours.  Just in time for Grieg's "Bell Ringer"  that we will record first,
>(to end the CD with).  There are a lot of very exposed intervals in the upper
>register, and no room for damper twang.

Ed, please keep us informed about how long they take to get noisy. The
brass ring would be if they didn't get noisy at all! I like this sort of
fix, because it is something that anyone experienced enough to replace
grand dampers the normal way can try, for free.

Good luck with your recording. Will we be able to buy this one, too?

Susan