pinblock drilling

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 19:12:43 -0700

Of course you could remove a pin and see for yourself and let us know...then
swab it with CA glue and re-install.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Clyde Hollinger
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 5:50 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: pinblock drilling

Friends,

I've been servicing a 1978 console that developed loose tuning pins over
the past several years, pretty much evenly across the piano.  I decided
as a first course of action to drive all the pins a smidgen deeper.
That worked pretty well, but I got the distinct impression as I was
going along that the tuning pins were hitting bottom in the holes.  A
pretty good whack didn't noticeably move some of them.

Is this possible?  Has anyone had opportunity to notice if a factory has
ever drilled the pinblock on a vertical too shallow?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger