string noise

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:06:28 -0700

That sound in a 1098 is in everyone I've come across.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 7:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: string noise

We just had a long discussion on this very topic at our last PTG chapter
meeting. After a lengthy technical discussion among all present, we decided
that no one knew what those sounds are caused by, and that there is not good
way to fix them. I wonder if string replacement would not solve the problem.
My 7 year old Boston GP-178 had about three wound strings making such a
noise. They are not real loud, but kinda like a rattle in a car door, once
you become aware of it, it seems much, much louder :-(

S&S 1098s make the same noise about in the middle of the keyboard. Some make
more noise than others. Patterson (I think that was his name), a S&S concert
tech poked around my 1098 for quite a while and decided it was not a
sympathetic vibration, not voicing, not tuning, but rather likely a defect
in the plate at the upper string termination. Nasty, nasty noises.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com