Pianomation installs

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:57:42 -0400

Hi Larry,

I believe you are right to question the time estimates.

In a controlled, factory type / assembly line type process, yes it probably
can be done in 5 hours.

But...

In order to accomplish such speed records, there are probably a few things
which need to be in order ahead of time which would drastically impact those
time figures.

One is that for most of the modern player systems to function properly, the
piano's action needs to be in excellent regulation before they even begin
the installation process.

Another thing that is necessary to achieve these speeds is the shop setup.
Every tool must be in ready upon demand.  You don't have time to be changing
blades on your saw, or looking for the right sized drill bit, etc, etc.  You
also need to be able to manipulate the piano (as in get it over on it's
side, or back to setup position) easily and quickly.

The third thing that comes to mind is a sequence.  In order to achieve speed
(and efficiency), you need to have a specific and logical sequence of events
laid out ahead of time which you will follow to accomplish your goal.  You
don't have the time to ponder "what do I do next??".   It needs to be 'a
well oiled machine'.

Now, that being said, in 5 hours, you might be able to install the system.
You won't have time left over to do more fine tuning with the action
regulation, or to tune the piano, or to put the piano through a lot of the
procedures we might 'like' to.  (It's very easy for me to spend a couple of
hours with a new Concertmaster system playing, recording,... just using the
system.  As I do that, I slowly find little things that I might want to
'tweak' a bit to make it nicer.)

That fine critical type observation doesn't happen within that 5 hours
either.  But is it necessary?  Not for some people.  But I have a habit of
looking and listening for a while.  I automatically assume that if it's
irritating to me, it may well be irritating to a customer.

Can an install happen in 5 hours?  Yes, it can.  But we can't forget to look
at the rest of the picture.

Just my opinion.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA