impedance and empericism -- longer

Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:55:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 17, 2000 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: impedance and empericism

> >Ric rites back
> >Yeah,  but you forgot to say how it can be measured. If impedance is to
be
> >defined at a useful level it should come from it measurements. The point
of
> >emperical science is that prediction is the same as measurement.  Or the
> >measured result should be the same as predicted by the formula---which is
> >constructed from the measured results.   This  is what the inharmonicity
> >formula appears to be, a formula based on measurements.   However it
doesn't
> >appear to predict so good, since other variables are now being claimed to
> >influence Ih.
>
> I didn't forget, I just don't have a means of doing so that puts a number
> on it. Del explained how it's done. For my part, I have to rely on what I
> can hear. Being able to generate the numbers and correlate them to
> measurements would certainly be handy, but it's beyond my present
capabilities.

A hundred or so years ago -- when most of scaling principles for pianos
that, sadly, are still practiced today were initially worked out -- the math
didn't exist to predict either the tension or the inharmonicity for wrapped
strings.  In fact, the idea of inharmonicity had not yet come along.  That
didn't mean it was impossible to calculate the tension of wrapped string, it
only meant that they were unable to do so at the time.  Nor does it mean
that inharmonicity did not exist in the strings used in those days or that
either of these parameters was unimportant in the development or the
performance of the piano.  Neither did it stop piano designers from
designing pianos or piano builders from building them.  I do suspect,
though, that if such tools had existed then the pianos we see now would be
some different.  So time goes on and we build on what came before.

What I described was a process to measure the mechanical impedance of
structure such as a piano soundboard at a single frequency and at a single
point on a soundboard bridge.  The results of this test give us a complex
number representing the mechanical impedance of the soundboard system at one
single point along one of (usually) two bridges at one single, simple
frequency (i.e., no harmonics, either in- or en-) and at one single power
level.  Yes, the process can be expanded to include a sweep of all practical
audio frequency signals at that point.  Doing so makes the result
considerably more complicated.  If we add in varying power levels -- i.e.,
more or less amplitude in the driving signal -- the result becomes even more
complicated.  Now, let's add some harmonics that are not quite harmonic?
Oh, yes, let's give these in-harmonic signals varying power levels and
varying decay rates.  This is something of the complexity you would find in
trying to quantify the mechanical impedance of a simple single string
mono-chord using a simple test soundboard assembly.  And, since the test
soundboard is made of wood and the mechanical characteristics of wood change
with its moisture content, let's vary the humidity level and take some more
readings.  Now, let's add in a few more strings -- say, 220 or so and let's
give them all varying lengths, masses, tensions, fundamental vibrating
frequencies, varying levels of downforce against the bridge(s), etc. -- and
spread out along a couple of bridges contacting the soundboard over a widely
varying area?  And, yes -- to get back to the original question -- let's
factor in those varying humidity levels as well.

Now, let me understand the problem here.  Given this mix of complex
variables -- and let's just ignore the effect of a few additional variables
such as the plate, rim, and a few more I've forgotten about or don't yet
even know about -- we are supposed to define a mathematical relationship
that will accurately predict the effect on the harmonic coefficient of a
single string lying somewhere along the string scale that results from a
change in relative humidity from, say, 40% to 60% and if we can not
currently provide this formula then this cause and effect relationship does
not exist?

Stephan Birkett has proposed a research project that would just begin to
look into some of these questions but I'm not sure even the project he
envisions would provide accurate answers to this question.  If anyone is
interested enough, though, I'm sure he would welcome contributions.  I hope
I am wrong -- for his sake as well as ours -- but I suspect the condition
of, and the attitude within, the piano industry today is such that there is
very little interest in this type of basic research.  And extensive basic
research is just what is needed if we are going to even begin to understand
these types of complex relationships fully.  No, if this type of work is
done at all it will probably be done by interested piano technicians and/or
scientists who have a particular interest in the piano and who are willing
to pursue the question on their own nickel.

As may be, just because a certain causal relationship cannot be explained
and quantified by today's science -- either empirical or theoretical -- does
not mean it does not exist.

No, I do not have a full understanding of the relationship between the
vibrating string plane and the complex mechanical impedance of the
soundboard system.  Nor can I provide a mathematical expression defining it.
But I do have enough knowledge of the relationship between a variety of
single strings acting against simple test soundboards -- gained through
empirical testing -- to understand at least some of the basic principles of
mechanical impedance and string/soundboard relationships as they apply to
the whole vibrating string plane and to the entire complex piano soundboard
system to make some educated assumptions and guesses.  Enough so, at least,
to enable me to design and build soundboards that give better acoustical
results than those of the past.  Are these soundboards perfect?  Of course
not.  Can they be improved through the development of better science?
Certainly so.  Should I stop stretching the limits of my knowledge and my
understanding just because I cannot currently measure and define all of the
inter-relationships that exist between the vibrating string and the
soundboard/rim assembly.  If I do that I am dead -- at least intellectually
so and the physically so would soon follow.

I have no idea what the relationship between varying humidity levels and
measured string inharmonicity might be.  Or between soundboard impedance and
string inharmonicity.  I have made no effort to either measure or to explain
these things.  Probably won't, although I think there are a few interesting
possibilities to explore. But this question has essentially no bearing on
how pianos are designed, which is my area of interest.  At least I don't
think it does.  (I know this is heresy, but the whole concept of
inharmonicity has very little to do with piano design. Well, ok, across the
bass/tenor break...)  I do it immensely interesting, however, to read what
others are saying about it.  The questions, the ideas...  If a viable theory
develops out of all of this then the drive to understand how the piano works
will have taken one more small step forward.

Keep at it, folks!

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich