Earthquake damage, was Re: National holiday non booty earthquake rain day

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:40:55 -0500

>Fraudulent claims to insurance companies do happen; our job is to try to
>know the difference and be responsible in our actions.
>
>Diane

Diane and Jim B,
I wasn't speaking from an insurance fraud perspective, but rather from a
technical one. Even if we can say with reasonable assurance, which I can't,
that a discovered crack in a soundboard was caused by any particular
instance of rough handling or natural disaster, what are the implications
here, and the reasonable course of action? Must the crack be "fixed" at any
cost, or would there be no discernable difference in sound and function for
the rest of the instrument's natural life if it wasn't? If it must be
fixed, what's the proper fix? What forces cracked it in the first place?
For just a vibrational shock to have done it, the panel would have to have
been in tension and on the verge of cracking spontaneously anyway, which
would mean that it already wasn't a viable board when the incident
happened, so there's no real damage done that wasn't already far past the
point that shimming the crack would correct. If it was a good healthy board
at the time of the incident, the panel would have been under some degree of
compression, even with a primarily rib crowned board, and shouldn't have
cracked from vibrational shock. That would about mean that there was enough
diagonal shear on the panel to have cracked it whether it was in
compression or not. In order for that to happen, wouldn't the rim or liner
have to be deformed enough to apply these shear stresses to the soundboard
panel? Doesn't that leave the structural integrity of the carcass in
question? My point here is that finding a crack in the soundboard that
seems to have been caused by either earthquakes or movers, seems to me like
it should be either absolutely meaningless, or a major structural disaster,
rather than just a matter of shimming the crack. So what's the recommended
action submitted to the insurance company in the claim estimates when we
find these cracks? Do we ignore them, insist that the piano needs rebuilt,
with a new soundboard, or is there a reasonable argument for something in
between?

Trying to define and thereby know the difference is why I asked the
question in the first place.

Ron N