Earthquake damage, was Re: National holiday non booty earthquake rain day

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:52:53 -0400

Hi Ron,

This one is a rather interesting thread.  And there's a lot of peripheral
issues sitting on the shelves in the back throwing rocks at us! :-)

Insurance is a complicated sort of business, and 'being insured' doesn't
always mean the same thing.  Some people are insured to cover the value of
what they have, meaning if they have a $100 junky upright, they're entitled
to $100, not a brand new <insert appropriate name brand> upright piano.
Some people are insured for 'full replacement' (or whatever they might call
it) so that they ARE entitled to the new<insert appropriate name brand>
upright piano.

As for the soundboard cracking 'caused' by the earthquake, rough move, or
other stressful moment in the life of the piano, I had a thought.  In normal
environmental conditions, a piano will fail to be a viable instrument over
time, period.  Due to changes in seasons (temp & RH level fluctuations),
deterioration of wooden components and glue joints, compression / tension of
wood (soundboards, pinblocks, etc.), perhaps even changes to the steel wire
??, given enough time, the piano will become an unusable instrument, played
or not.

The stresses that occur, such as earthquakes, rough moves, etc., are only
factors in that they will accelerate the aging / deterioration process.  If
a soundboard is cracked anew after an earthquake, it probably would have
cracked in similar fashion if no earthquake had taken place due to other
perhaps more extended circumstances, but it would deteriorate.  The idea
that if no external 'damage' occurs to a piano, it will not deteriorate, is
flawed.  It will.  Perhaps not as fast, but it will.

It occurs to me that the job of technician called upon to estimate damage in
these cases is really estimating how much of the usable life of that
instrument has been taken away, as well as what would be required to bring
it back to it's original condition.  Unfortunately, we usually can't bring
it back to it's condition before the quake / fall / rough handling.  (Ever
tried to make 'half a repair'?)  We either have to make a proper repair, or
try to patch in some way, neither of which brings it to exactly the same
place as it did before it was traumatized.  That's where the insurance
companies come in.

It is messy.  And there's the infinite number of personalities of piano
owners, the almost infinite attitudes of the insurance company
professionals, and a pretty wide range of personalities among the piano
technicians who are called to 'evaluate' these things.

I say, collect as much information as you can, give your honest opinions,
and assume your opinions will be scrutinized by other technicians as well as
the insurance company.  If someone doesn't like my / your opinion, let them
get one from someone else.  If they look long enough, they'll find any
opinion they want.

That's what came to my mind.  Take it for what it's worth.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net