impedance and empericism -- longer

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 07:20:27 -0500

>    Now tuning machines are recording differences of Ih and people are
>saying it is due to RH?  That is quite a stretch, if I may, to even imagine
>that  changes in humidity can affect the properties of the steel in the
>wire.

Ric,
It's not humidity's affect on the wire, it's presumed to be the affect of
humidity on the soundboard impedance that causes the measured inharmonicity
changes, and it's that soundboard impedance at any given point in the scale
that we can't accurately predict by formula.

>---ric

How long had musicians and instrument builders dealt with the effects of
inharmonicity before someone finally defined the concept and worked out the
math? Give the ETD crowd the same few hundred years to absorb the concepts
of mechanical impedance, and discover soundboards, and I expect you'll have
your formulas. Meanwhile, there are those who are working on it.

Ron N