Test blows

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:12:55 EDT

Greetings,
    It would be helpful to distinguish between test blows that are used to
check the stability of a "set pin",  and the "test blows" that accompany
every move of the hammer.
    Bill Garlick taught that a light touch on the hammer while tuning,
followed by a really sharp test blow was a proper way to tune.  The tuning
hammer hand should develope the finesse required to accomodate the pin
torque, friction, and string movement while moving the pin and leave it  so
that there is more topstring than speaking length tension when the string is
at pitch.  Simple, eh?  It can be, but sometimes it takes faith to stop
pushing the hammer, hit the note a test note and move on.  With repetition,
the move to pitch can become near automatic, and the test notes may number 88
or so for an entire tuning, (rare).
     I have seen techs pounding the entire time they are moving the pin,
using 10 or twelve "test blows" while they tune the string.  This can wear
the body and piano out.  I think it is better to train the hammer hand to
leave the string properly set, and just hit it once for insurance.  If it
consistantly goes out of tune when you hit it,  reexamine how you are leaving
the string, don't just pound down from somewhere sharp!
regards,
Ed Foote
 i was once a pounder, back when tunings were $25, ......
(I guess you could have called me a quarter-pounder?)