Brass Rail Clips? On Lyon and Healy Upright?

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:49:43 EDT

I am looking for some advice on solving a problem.

A very nice poverty struck customer who with best intentions bought a 1908
Lyon and Healy upright for a hundred dollars, "for the kid to earn on".

I was called to tune it after the first 5 brass rail tabs broke off. The
action is the problem, the rest of the piano is remarkably good. Brass rail
clips do not work well on this particular piano's brass rail geometry,
raising the hammer butt over an eight of an inch. No normal repair flanges
fit to the screw hole and centerpin line. I have been removing the section of
brass rail of just a particular note and using Billings flanges beaten flat
to repair it, but it is a clunky repair and is not that easy to do.

Has anyone successfully  dealt with a Lyon and Healy having this problem?
(Out of curiosity only, is there a good source for brass rail clips? )

Has anyone ever removed the brass rail completely and replaced it with wood
flanges.
If you did, what kind of time did it take? A certain amount of Pro Bono work
is usual for me,  but this one could get out of hand in a blink. My
preference is to find a physical solution for the action problem and show the
fellow how to do it himself, for he is very handy.

Any advice? I hate for the piano to be lost for want of a flange solution.

Thank You,
Bill Simon