Bridge Pin/Epoxy Question

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:27:47 EDT

I bought the marine resin from Read Plastics in Rockville, Maryland in the
mid 1980's.  I used it because it was almost a water thin consistency
instead of thick like epoxy.  You mix a few drops of hardener with the
marine resin and it flows easily into the cracks around a warmed bridge pin.
  You don't necessarily have to fill the cracks all the way to the top of
the bridge, so it is possible that after the repair, it doesn't look like
you did anything.

You can probably buy marine resin in any hardware store.  I use boat resin
to attach the kevlar skid plates to my canoe, but that can be a mess because
kevlar "floats".  That carbon-kevlar fabric is strong, though, as my 18 foot
canoe only weighs 37 pounds.  I find that paddling a canoe, and especially a
kayak equipped with foot braces, takes the kinks out of my back and
shoulders after a hard day tuning!

Whether or not marine resin is the same as boat resin, I don't know.  It
would be fairly cheap to obtain boat resin and experiment with a regular
soldering iron and bridge pins drilled into too large holes in a piece of
scrap wood.

Carol Beigel