Wurlitzer / 2

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 00:44:47 -0700

I've got one in my shop...I got it about 20 years ago.  I have been
intending to rebuild it for about the same number of years. It is pea green
also but I thought the previous owner might have painted it.  Factory?

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 4:17 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Wurlitzer / 2

Hi all,
I got a real "treat" yesterday morning. Tuned a teeny-tiny Wurlitzer, which
is the first one of these I've seen that I recall. At first I couldn't tell
if it was just very small, or very far away, until I bruised my knee.
Turned out it was very small, for all the good that does my knee. It's 61
notes, like a pump organ, but the compass is from C to C, rather that the
usual F to F of an organ. Bass is 18 notes, from C to F with seven
monochords, and the rest bichords. From there on up are plain wire
trichords! From what I've seen in other itty bitty pianos, I had expected a
few wound bichords in the low tenor, and plain wire bichords the rest of
the way. It tuned up real pretty, considering my expectations, and sounded
better than most of the low end consoles that seem to be everywhere you
look. I was pleasantly surprised all around. The action (full blow, no
drop) even worked reasonably well considering the almost total lack of
maintenance through the years.

The keytops were a tad strange though. I'd describe the color and pattern
as "Egg Drop Pea Soup". She said they were original... Weird, but kind of
neat.

Ron N