sluggish hammers on spinet

Dan & Martha Reed thepianoarts@home.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:14:23 -0500

Bruce wrote...
 >I've never before encountered a spinet (in this case a 1963 W****T***)
with
>all hammers so sluggish...

 >Is it just a combination of factors: poorly weighted keys, weak springs,
 >nonuse, etc.?

>Thanks for any suggestions.

> Bruce

Bruce,

    There are zillions of these Wurlitzer pianos around, and the piano will
function nicely if you can first get the excessive moisture out of the
hammer shank flange bushings.  Get a 1875 watt hair dryer, fit it with the
flat tip extension, and fry the little puppy. It should take 15 to 20
minuets to free it up. Aim the flat nozzle at the flanges (you will cover
about 5 at a time) and watch how they free up.  A 2nd. trip, in 6 months,
doing the same thing gets the job done in this part (Dallas Texas) of the
planet. Follow up the heat with Baldwins silicon,  mixed with one gallon of
high grade naptha (V & P.M.), as they (Baldwin) suggest.  It keeps the
moisture out, and reduces friction. When the flanges are hot, work them by
the hand-full, pushing to the left and right, to iron the felt, and help
lossen any oxidation on the pins.
    I am sure there are other ways to do this, but this works nicely. I
don't remove the action, but I apply the juice with a thin controlable
bottle, avaliable from the supply houses. You will also benifit by the use
of a light, to see where to aim the juice. Please let us know how it turned
out.

Dan Reed
Dallas Chapter