String coupling.

Robert Moffatt moffattr@cadvision.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:21:38 -0600

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: String coupling.

Also in every case, the unison sounded rougher than I can tune it =
aurally.
Touching up aurally, the unison pitch drop disappeared again, or was
greatly reduced. Checking each string individually against the display,
they weren't precisely the same anymore, but the unison as a whole was =
on
pitch and sounded good.=20

Why?
=20
Because it was done aurally!!

 Hi Ron,
            At least you restored my sanity, well the little that I =
never
 had. With a new set of hammers, very carefully mated to the strings, I =
have
 noted that the partial pattern is very different on the centre string, =
by
 single straight line needling up the cup line to pop the cup and then =
re
 mating, similar patterns were obtained on all 3 strings.

Card, level the strings....no "popping" the "cup line??" then remate???
Simpley shape the the hammers (eliminates the "cup") then voice!!

 The ETD unison will now both show  and sound correct.
=20
 The only conclusion on my part is that the ear is a remarkable =
instrument,  in that it can
 compensate in a manner that is amazing, when dealing with slightly =
false
 beats and mis aligned partials.

Then learn to use it!

Please pass the straight jacket.