Note ID - & Tunelab

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:35:06 -0500

Conrad:

I know.  My first 'puter was a CP/M machine with no hard drive, just A: & B: floppies.  At the time I bought that, a machine with a huge 10-meg hard drive (and one less floppy) was $800.00 more!  I couldn't afford the hard disk model, and I thought I'd never need that much storage anyway.  That first machine had a whopping 64-K of memory!  Now both of my desktop machines have 64-meg and I really think I should have more.

I guess my point was, once naming gets started, things stay the same.  It would be impossible now to have computers name their boot hard disk A: in spite of how logical it would be now.

dave

On 6/23/00 at 9:18 AM Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

>At 08:23 23-06-00 -0500, you wrote:
>>-- snip --
>>Why is my boot disk drive the C: drive?
>>David M. Porritt
>

>That one's easy...  In days of yore, before PCs had internal hard drives,
>the two ports for floppy disks were called A: and B:.  I still have a
>couple 5 1/4" hard sector 90k [NOT a misprint: _k_ ] floppies laying around
>that went in them.
>

>Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
>-A rose by any other name would still attract aphids.

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University