Smoke Damage

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:26:12 -0700

Whether or not corrosion is a problem is uncertain.  I suppose that
depends on other factors such as PH and humidity to some extent.  Ozone
is a_strong _oxidizer.  So the possiblity of oxidation is certainly
increased.  Ozone is an unstabile molecule mode up of three Oxygen
molecules linked with weak bonds and looking for any excuse to react with
other unstabile matter in the vicinity.  Oxygen in an O2 arrangement is a
far cry from ozone in an O3 arrangement.  Ozone _is_ highly reactive in
most situations.  That is why it is useful to remove odors.  It oxidizes
them into other (non-smelly) compounds.

FWIW

Dale Fox

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:46:05 -0400 staytuned@idirect.com (John Lillico,
RPT) writes:
> >I have heard fire restoration companies often place smoke damaged
> items in
> >"ozone rooms" to eliminate odors. I've also heard it can be
> corrosive to
> >metal parts (like strings and center pins). Can anyone corroborate
> this?
> >
> >Phil Romano
> >romanop@attglobal.net
>
> Phil,
>
> I suppose ozone is no more corrosive than oxygen. They are virtually
> one and the same except for ozone's ability to "eat" smoke, gases,
> vapors and organics. I'm no chemist but I shouldn't think corrosion
> is a concern.
>
> John Lillico, RPT
> Oakville, Ontario

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!