FW: The Journal

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 11:28:36 -0700

Dear List,
Steve asked me to forward this on to you.

jeannie

-----Original Message-----
From: S. Brady [mailto:sbrady@u.washington.edu]
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2000 6:20 PM
To: Jeannie Grassi
Subject: Re: FW: The Journal

Dear Brian and list,
	I think the main reason the Journal's delivery date has
historically been so unpredictable is that the Home Office staff is
organized in such a way that nobody there works full-time on the
Journal. As PTG political bodies add more projects to the HO workload,
everybody pitches in on different projects and gets them done, and the
Journal receives about the same priority as everything else.
	Traditionally, October and May have seemed to come out pretty
late because of other projects like Council and Board minutes and a ton of
photos from the convention (October), and convention brochures (plus a
couple of other new brochures this year) and the directory normally slow
down the May issue. I spoke to Joe at the HO yesterday, and he told me the
directory will ship with the July issue sometime in mid-July.
	Another factor this year (and really a positive one in most
ways) has been the addition of two new technical staff people, Bob Hohf
and John Hartman (neither at the HO). We're still learning the ropes of
working with all these people, and it has probably added a few days to the
normal production cycle. I think this is a relatively small part of the
problem, though. The benefits are already visible in the Journal, with
TT&T expanded slightly and the illustrations vastly improved. I
think you're also going to be pleased with the graphics redesign beginning
in the July issue. At this moment, it appears that with the August issue
we should be back on our desired schedule of shipping on or near the first
of the month.
	Thanks for your interest in the Journal, and for your patience
these past couple of months--it's been hard for all of us.

All best,

	Steve Brady, RPT
	Journal Editor

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Jeannie Grassi wrote:

> What factors determine whether the Journal will get mailed out on time?  I
> have no concept of what it takes, so I'm not being critical.  I have
noticed
> that there are some magazines that I've subscribed to over the years that
> could almost set my watch by, and others that are much less predictable.
>
> If we do ask for a Journal that's of similar content as to what we now
get,
> are we being unreasonable to ask for it to happen on a schedule?  (I don't
> know the answer to that, or the surrounding issues, I'm just asking, not
> accusing.??)
>
> The question has long since been asked, what's up?  Does anyone have the
> 'inside scoup'?
>
> You know,... the inquiring mind thingie...
>
> Brian Trout
> Quarryville, PA
> btrout@desupernet.net

Steve Brady, RPT
Head Piano Technician, University of Washington
Editor, Piano Technicians Journal