Test blows

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:41:10 -0500

> >     I have always supposed the main reason a test blow will flatten a
> string
> > is because the pin is not seated, or "set".
>

> Hi Richard,
> It is my thinking that unless the strings are seated on the bridge
(setteled
> in )
> That the test blow will partially settle the string. In pitch raises of
over
> 25c I go to work in seating the strings as if it were a new piano to
remove
> the elastic curve arround the bearing points. This I call a pitch
> stabilization process.
> Joe Goss

Hi Joe,
    I meant tuning pin.  The curve around the bridge pin I have never
worried about.  Seating the string on the bridge to me means that the
strings rest on the bridge cap due to proper bearing. To have to tap strings
to "seat" them may mean a bearing problem.    My personal hunch is that the
two bends on the speaking length  should be left alone, this "elastic curve"
(bon mot)  is very delicate and under added stress from the bend, esp being
pulled at 170  lbs, and the force of the hammers hitting it. They need time,
not force to attain their optimum form. Force will only be detrimental to
their elasticity IMHO. ---ric