QUERY:YAMAHA GRANDS BUILT FOR JAPANESE MARKET

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:42:01 EDT

I service a couple of Yamaha grands that were sold by a dealer whom I know
trades in gray market pianos.  My biggest problem is not with the quality of
the pianos but the disreputable quality (read: character) of the dealer.  I
was contacted before the purchase and advised extreme caution for reasons
that have been aired on this thread.   The customers elected to go ahead
anyway.  So far, no problems.

My question is, when our humidity ranges from 70% (or even 80% plus) in
summer to 30% with the heat on, how is the wood helped to acclimate itself to
this range just by controlling the moisture content in the drying kiln?
Knight used to post notice in their pianos that they were "manufactured for
the American climate."  Just what IS the "American climate?"

Bill Maxim
South Carolina