Steinway style rep lever springs

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:35:50 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/00 7:40:58 PM Central Daylight Time, MsPiano4@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Any one with tips on adjusting Steinway style rep springs. Also used on
Young
 Chang. Am I the only one who finds the lack of a regulating spring so
 annoying? I've got the Hart tool for spring bending and it's nice but there
 has to be a more precise way of doing it.

 Thanks
 Greg Murdaugh >>

The Hart spring bending tool is probably the best way to adjust the Steinway
style wippen springs. It's just a matter of learning how to use it. It is not
as precise as a screw adjustment, but you can fine "tune" them.

One problem a lot of technicians seem to have is over bending the springs. No
matter now much of a bend they put on the spring, there still is no "gentle
rise' to the wippens. This is cause by two things. One is a tight wippen
flange, brought on by our old friend verdigris. The other is gunk in the slot
where the spring sits. Whenever I rebuild a Steinway action I always
"restore" the wippens, by taking each one off the rail, and cleaning out the
grove, "voicing" the wippen cushion, and making sure the flange is loose.
It's amazing how well the action responds after that treatment.

Willem