Stop!! "Private" Sale Ahead!!

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:15:11 -0700

Well... <scratching head>, Hmmmm.   I have seen this before by a dealer who would take pianos home from the store and then sell them there to make it appear that it was a private sale.  Of course the next week it was a different piano.  I certainly wouldn't want to be labeled a "tattle tell" but I'm sure the city wouldn't be pleased to know that there was a retail operation going on in a residential zone and without a license.  An anonymous
tip to the BBB and/or the chamber of commerce may result in the city being notified.  Many newspapers used to refuse to place adds if they knew there was something like this going on.  It might be worth a phone call but in today's world of obscene law suites and personal classifieds, (i.e. "GWM looking for same"), most newspapers seem to care less about what they print anymore.

A more subtle approach could involve your entire chapter.  Compose a professional letter explaining that they have been "caught", and express your displeasure with their ethics.  Inform them that you will make it a point to warn customers and anyone else that comes along.  Then have all members of your chapter sign it and then send it via registered mail.  Lastly, advise all of the purchasers that you can about what has happened.  They may
be interested in launching their own complaints.

Rob Goodale, RPT

<snip>

> But what has come to a head recently on the home front is an out-of-town classified advertisement in the local paper for a grand piano at $2,450.
>
> But the advert continues. This time it's a Schomacker grand "in excellent conditon". The same price, the same address, the same story. "My daughter's at university and has room only for an upright so she wants to sell this one". Next week it will be another and I am gathering evidence of many in the past.
>
> In that the Knabe was delivered by "the son" for a slightly additional charge (he brought the legs in from another piano on the truck), I suspect this "private" operation is not by a piano technician, but a terrible furniture dealer/refinisher or mover (no pros). The older couple residing in the home and who receive the calls appear to be all too innocent and above suspicion. But they are emphatic in wanting "cash" and a quick decision.

<snip>