wire [also historical pitch levels]

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:49:20 EDT

Ed Foote writes:

> And pitch?  I am thinking 435 at the max.

Where IS an authoritative source for historical pitch levels? I also was
wondering about pitch on a couple of older pianos, specifically, an 1865
Steinway 7'4" and a Viennese grand from before 1900 which I might be asked to
rescale. I remember reading that Steinway used a VERY high pitch sometime in
the 19th C., which might help explain some of the old scales, but I don't
remember where I was reading it, and would like to have some confirmation.

Thanks,
Bob Davis