Laquering Brass Screws

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:02:29 EDT

In a message dated 06/29/2000 3:47:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I successfully polished and laquered my brass hinges, etc. for the grand I
>  am rebuilding. Now I am ready to install all brass on piano with new brass
>  plated steel wood screws. Any good suggestions for how best to prevent the
>  screws from tarnishing before the brass pieces that are laquered? Should I
>  just hit them with a little laquer applied by brush? This is the only good
>  thing I can think of (and I only THINK it is a good idea)!
>
>  Terry Farrell
>  Piano Tuning & Service
>  Tampa, Florida
>  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

Terry, we poke holes in a piece of cardboard and slip each screw into one,
then we spray them all with a brass lacquer.  Regular lacquer will yellow in
a fairly short time where special brass lacquer will not.  You should be able
to find it at some hardware stores.  We get ours from Mohawk if you have
access to them.

David Koelzer
DFW