lesson learned

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:12:36 -0400

>        Tuned a Kaway KG1 for a family yesterday. It was way low. I went through
>it twice, and I told the lady of the house, "This piano was very much out
>of pitch. I tuned it twice, but some notes will probably not stay in
>tune."

Les-- Tell her beforehand that it's "low" and how much extra work and money it will cost to right it!

>        Tonight the man of the house called to tell me the piano was horrible.
>Had his kid play on it, and about three notes were obviously not dead
>center. He expected me to come out and return tomorrow, even though I
>have a full schedule before heading to DC.

First thing. Perhaps they are accustomed to the "out-of-tune" sound but, secondly, if_you could hear over the phone that about three notes were out, then it is likely the "setting of the pin" rather than loose pins, especially 'way down there where you are.

>I said, that I would not
>retune the piano since it had not been tuned in at least 18 months, and I
>had told the lady it would have some problems.

Retuning is not neccessary, but touching up three notes is something you have to swallow.

>        So, the question- how to stay ahead of this kind of thing. I tend to be
>pretty naive, I guess, and must stop it immediately.  This customer is a
>loss, and I'm not particularly sad about it. He was a nasty creature.

This customer will cause many a future loss if you don't do something. Unhappy clients tell everybody. Happy clients seldom tell anybody.

>        Two or three questions.
>        1) How far "out" does it have to be before one says "pitch raise
>extra tunings"? (given a decent piano)

I'd say about ten cents worth but others will say less.

>        2) How do you get it through customers' heads that there is a problem
>that won't go away in one tuning?

If the problem is pitch stability, explain it!  If you can't, make use of the Guild's brochure on pitch.

>                I see that the tech must be the aggressor, and, in a sense, put the
>client on the spot, here.  Hep the newbie, please- probably before I
>leave for DC on Saturday a.m to move pianos.

Not true! Aggressors are piano movers. Pacifiers are piano technicians. What will you be when you grow up? (Ony joking Les, only joking!)

Enjoy Arlington while I sit here with envy.

>thanks
>les bartlett
>houston

John Lillico, RPT