?

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:58:44 -0400

>        Not being a machine tuner, I don't really know how to convince someone
>that a pitch raise is necessary.  Also, some people say they can do a
>pitch raise, a second pass, and be done with it. Others say, NO- it takes
>three tunings, sometimes, more.  I'm confused..............
>les b

Les,

I'm not pickin' on ya but you said;  "Tuned a Kaway KG1 for a family yesterday. It was way low." I don't tune by machine now either (hence the sore thumb) but I do have Sanderson's "AccuFork" which, through it's sliding scale, gives me a fairly accurate idea of off-pitchness.

I wouldn't consider four beats low, (I estimate about 16 cents) as being "way low". Although a little unusual for this time of year, I'd rather it be low than high. I'd check out Sanderson's display and enquire about the Accu-Fork. If you know how flat (or sharp) the pitch is, it will make your job so much easier.

Like you subsequently said, "It wasn't the "best of days" for me, today." Just don't take your frustrations out on attendees at Arlington by running them over with a piano. Do we still use the "Geiger counters"?

John Lillico
Oakville