Stuck to bench top

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:27:49 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/00 4:04:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
staytuned@idirect.com writes:

<< I got stuck on a bench top today. Before I tell you the memory it brought
backto me, I want to ask,:
 What causes the heat from one's butt to stick to some bench top finishes?
 Is there anything that can be sprayed over the finish?
 Should a bench be sitting with the hinge toward or away from the piano? >>

On older pianos, the bench top is finished with varnish. The problem is that
this varnish was brushed on the old finish, and the old finish had grease and
dirt on it. So the new varnish never has a chance to soak in the wood, and
harden.

On the not so new piano benches, the customer loves to wax her piano bench
with Pledge or something similar. The reason it gets sticky is the same
reason the varnish doesn't dry. She is spraying a bench top that has grease
and dirt on it, from little kids, and maybe adults, sitting on it with dirty
pants, or bare legs (or buts).

The only solution is to strip the bench top, and start all over. For an
immediate solution, ask for a towel

Bench lids hinges should be away from the piano. This way it the bench top is
lifted to fast, the bench will never fall towards the piano, and hit the
pedals and break them, or just hit the piano, and put in a large dent.

Willem