Capstan Alignment

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:20:23 -0500

Hi List,
I just reinstalled the action in an old Conrad upright.  Its condition
when I started was pretty pitiful.  Most keys were sticking, raining
felt everywhere.  I replaced keytops, keybed felt, sticker cloth,
dampers, etc. (before you jump.....this is a freebie/learning experience
- and BTW all felt and action cloth used was same thickness as
original).  Only when I reinstalled the action did I notice a uniform
misalignment of  the capstans and stickers.  The capstans are about
3/16" too close to the strings.  Scratching my head, I noted that the
old sticker cloth telegraphed the same misalignment.  With new sticker
cloth and polished capstans, there is a noticable excess of friction at
the contact point.  Could the factory have let this thing go in such a
condition?  I searched the archives, but did not recognize the cure for
this problem.  Redrill all 88 capstan screw holes ????  Shim the whippen
rail??? Reposition the nose bolts????  As always, your replies will be
appreciated.

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee