Tuning pins with teeth

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:45:10 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 29, 2000 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: Tuning pins with teeth

> >Ron,
> >
> >If you are going to do this stuff, you should at least attempt to be a
> >scientific as the marketing folks were.  I see no mention of the silk
scarf
> >test in all that you've written below.  Consequently, I must assume that
> >your tests are, at the very least, incomplete!
> >
> >On pins and needles, we still await the true test of tuning pin
> >functionality...
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Del
>
> Oh ye of advanced curmudgeonliness and no little skepticism. That had
> occurred to me. Lacking the proper hardw... er, softw.. er, scarf, I did a
> trial run with what I had at hand as the next best thing. Result: those
> little teeth don't care a good hoot about Kleenex from either direction.
> Somehow, it seemed to lack sufficient "impact" to include in the report.
>
> Still searching for truth.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron N

-------------------------------------

But, Ron, that's what started all of this nonsense.  I quote (from a source
that will remain anonymous to protect the guilty):

'Ask the salesperson to show you a tuning pin like the ones used in his
pianos.  Drape a piece of cloth (handkerchief) over the tips of your fingers
of your left hand and insert the threaded end of the pin into the cloth
about one inch and hold it tight.  Now with your right hand turn the top of
the pin clockwise (the tuning direction).  The pin should turn with a little
effort.  Now attempt to turn it counterclockwise (the out of tune
direction).  If it moves with the same ease, your piano has just gone out of
tune!

Now try the same test with [our] pin.'

Now, don't misunderstand me.  The pins used by the company question are very
good pins.  And they build good pianos.  But...Yes, I am becoming something
of a curmudgeon.  And, yes, I am becoming increasingly skeptical.  But, can
you blame me?  I've been in this business for better than thirty years now.
It rubs off after a while.

Regards,

Del

(And thanks for doing your tests and for reporting your results.  You help
keep life interesting.)