On a Scale of One

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:13:11 -0200

Hi, Ron,

Robert Wornum held the "Royal Patent Equal Tension Scale" a long time
ago; the difference was, he used a single wire size for all of the
unwound strings, resulting in quadrupled inharmonicity per octave.

Wolfendon's published scale has changes for wire size, and I think the
scale used in Mehlins corresponds with it (these two seem great when
calculated for inhamonicity!)

But, what a great thing: if one variable is lacking, ignore it and try
your best. Was this a Scale 5? They're very nice instruments.

I just read in Colt's _The Antique Piano_ that Pleyel (perhaps through
Pape's influence [my guess]) had been so excited about wound strings
that he built a piano with _all_ wound strings. Even a stranger idea,
eh?

Clark