Drums & tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:02:19 EST

In a message dated 2/29/00 11:06:27 PM Central Standard Time,
btnaudio@flash.net writes:

<< This means that to tune one drum you have a total of 20 or 24 lugs to
adjust. You're trying to match the tension between all of them to the exact
same spot. Many drummers & drum techs don't know how to achieve this end
result so what you get is a thud sound with no resonance..........

This is interesting.  I'm sure that we piano techs would like to know how a
skilled drum tech tightens those lugs to get the proper pitch and resonance.
In both tasks, drum or piano tuning, getting that very precise balance of
tension is what we want.  A description (or even better, a demonstration at a
PTG event) of how this is done would be of interest to piano technicians.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin