Drums & tuning

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 22:44:17 EST

In a message dated 3/1/00 9:12:10 PM Central Standard Time, Billbrpt@AOL.COM
writes:

<< This is interesting.  I'm sure that we piano techs would like to know how
 skilled drum tech tightens those lugs to get the proper pitch and resonance.

 In both tasks, drum or piano tuning, getting that very precise balance of
 tension is what we want.  A description (or even better, a demonstration at
 PTG event) of how this is done would be of interest to piano technicians.

 Bill Bremmer RPT >>

What I would like to see is a drum from a standard trap set like a small tom,
for instance, being hit over and over while piano techs, one at a time with a
piano near by to use for reference, write down what pitch the drum is
producing. My prediction is that there would be far from unanimous agreement
on the note.

Dave Bunch