Drums & tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:23:36 EST

In a message dated 3/1/00 10:09:53 PM Central Standard Time, PDtek@AOL.COM
writes:

<< What I would like to see is a drum from a standard trap set like a small
tom,
 for instance, being hit over and over while piano techs, one at a time with
 piano near by to use for reference, write down what pitch the drum is
 producing. My prediction is that there would be far from unanimous agreement
 on the note.

 Dave Bunch

You may be right.  Someone else mentioned the shortness of sustain as being a
reason the tone is difficult to identify.  Although it could be a factor, it
is doubtless that the very high inharmonicity of the tone produced by the
drumhead will confuse the ear as to which note of the scale is being
represented.  Any Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) will focus on only one
partial at a time.  That is why a Korg type tuner works just fine.  It is
focusing on the fundamental which is appropriate in this tuning circumstance.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin