Expensive new tool

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:53:25 -0500

Hi Greg,

I'm not really familiar with these systems, but it would seem to me to be
very possible.  This thing can take a computer program which would be the
electronic equivalent of a highly detailed topographical map and cut a piece
of wood (among other things) to the same topography.  What would be needed
to duplicate an object would be a similar setup where the computer would
need to receive input about the object to be duplicated in high topographic
detail, kind of an elaborate 3D version of a pantograph which, instead of
drawing a picture on paper, would plug the input into the same computer
program that cuts out the new piece of wood for the pinblock or whatever.
(You're right, though.  You'd want to duplicate the shape of the plate
flange area, not the old pinblock.  I'm sure you know how poorly many of the
old blocks were fit originally.  It's amazing to me to find the number that
had no fitting whatsoever.)

I'm probably describing a tool that already exists or did exist 25 years ago
somewhere in some fashion, but I just don't know where or what it's being
used for.

Even if it didn't duplicate to full perfection, it sure would shorten the
time to fit the bugger to the plate.

I've been told, "If you're going to dream, dream big!"   <so now I know I'm
in trouble>

Have a good day,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA