Initial Pin Torque readings - SURVEY

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:55:11 EST

 Bill asks:

>" I strive for _______ to _______ inch pounds
>>of torque in a new  ___(type)___  block,
>and ______ to _______ inch pounds when
>repinning an old block that is in good condition."

Greetings,
 I really like to tune around the 100 in/lb mark.
   The type of pinblock will have a lot to do with this.  I don't expect a
Falcon-wood block to change much after the first day or two.  If it starts at
130 in/lbs,  it may lose five or so, but not much change after that.  A high
grade, five ply maple block will often begin around 140 in/lbs but will, in
the first several months, drop anywhere from 10 to 20 in/lbs.
     Repinning an old block?  usually, an old block seems to need only 10
in/lbs higher to settle there, however,  I repinned a model D for the school
in 1980, using 4/0 pins following a previously installed set of 3/0.  No
reaming was done,  I just hammered them in.  I got around 150 in/lbs on a lot
of them, and to this day, the readings are the same. (Dale Whitehead also
gets to wrestle this block).  It never settled down!  So, old block repinning
is a very variable thing.
Regards,
Ed Foote