key duplication/uprights

Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:49:06 -0500

On Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:58:11 -0600 Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
writes:
> >Robin's post indicating there has been some interest in putting
> brand new
> >pianos in old cases is an intriguing one.
> >
> >Mark Potter
>

> That's what a re design and re manufacture is for. I seem to have
> missed Robin's post, but what are the odds against finding old cases
> matching the physical dimensions of new back assemblies, key length and
head  scale, and actions height, installed in the proper relationship to
each other,
> and still get the case together? Seems like about as much trouble as
> rebuilding. What am I missing here? Enlighten me.
>
> Ron N

Hi Ron -

Sounds like you're not missing anything!  I checked on Robin's post, and
found that it was sent to my address, and not to pianotech, which I
hadn't realized.  Not wanting to break any rules of netiquette, I CAN
tell you that there was no detailed account of the process, only that a
tech in Australia was doing it.

Perhaps Robin will chime in.... (Hint, hint, hint).....?

I agree with you, though.  It DOES sound like as much trouble as
rebuilding, but it was intriguing to me mainly because I had never
actually heard of anyone doing it before - paying a premium price to have
a new piano fitted to an outstanding old case.  Seems like another
version of what you're calling a re-design and re-manufacture, but with
more logistic problems.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com