first time keytops

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 22:26:56 +0100

While aggreeing with most replies on this, I would like to encourage you to do
some keytop replacements yourself. Its a nice skill to develop (at least to the
point where you can to a fine job in 3 times the time you get paid for..grin)
Sometimes you run into a situation where this is handy to know how to do. And
whos to say you might not end up being one of those most other techs send their
keys off too ??.. You should of course start with a set of keys that dont really
matter to anyone, and use a cheap set of tops. The two tricky parts are getting
the sticks nicely surfaced and ready for glueing the new tops on, you gots to
have them dead level and flat, and then makeing sure all the new tops stick out
exactly the same distance from the fronts and their alignment is otherwise
correct. This last is not as easy as it might seem, tho with a little thought you
can contrive a couple jigs to keep you on line.

This is not something that pays well as Bob points out, unless you are extremely
quick about it. That means investment in more sophisticated tooling which in turn
means you should count on doing a lot of these jobs over time. So dont hesitate
to learn, (grin, on perhaps your own junker) but unless you really want to do
this kinda job a lot, its probably best to send them off as a general rule.

You are lucky there in the states in this regard. Lots of guys all over the
country who do great work for a good price. Here in Norway I am forced to do this
work myself. Takes me much longer then it should, but the alternative is too time
consuming, and too expensive (due to taxes and VAT concerns mostly)

Good luck.. and keep learning :)

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.