Cracked plate

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 19:15:26 -0800

Autopianos are favorites among mechanical music collectors. This
is largely because of the name but they were also pretty good
instruments.  The company was controlled by the Standard
Pneumatic Action Company and consequently the player action
closely resemble the Standard design with subtle differences.
Both single and double valve versions were made.

You might want to look into the "LockNStitch" cast iron repair
system.  I successfully repaired an upright with a broken strut,
(between the mid and high treble).  I discussed this on the list
so you might want to review the archives.  You can also visit the
manufacturers web page at: http://www.locknstitch.com/

The system is very unique and quite amazing.  The company has a
video tape demonstrating destructive and nondestructive tests on
cast iron repairs with this system which is very impressive.  The
first rule before you start, however, is to determine WHY the
crack formed in the first place.  Somewhere for some reason there
is a stress that shouldn't be.  Cast iron doesn't break on it's
own, something is causing it to break.  The exception to this is
if the instrument was dropped during moving or some such thing.
Check all screws for tightness, make sure everything is lined up
and that the plate is seated properly, etc.  It is suggested by
the manufacturer that if possible the repair be made in it's
present position rather than forcing it back into the position it
was in before the break.  This way everything is where it "wants
to be" instead of being forced into doing something it can't do.
This of course also requires that its current position is
acceptable and it won't interfere with anything, (i.e. down
bearing, etc.), by leaving it where it is.

Good luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV